Your rights in relation to privacy
Future Rent Pty Ltd ACN 615 091 882 and any of its subsidiaries and related entities (Futurerent) understands the importance of protecting the privacy of an individual’s personal information. This statement sets out how Futurerent aims to protect the privacy of your personal information, your rights in relation to your personal information managed by Futurerent and the way Futurerent collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information, including creditx related personal information. In handling your personal information, Futurerent will comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and with the 13 Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act. This policy statement may be updated from time to time.
What kinds of personal information does Futurerent collect?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual. During the provision of its services, Futurerent may collect your personal information. Generally, the kinds of personal information Futurerent collects are:
1. contact and identification information such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, drivers licence details, passport and Medicare number;
2. financial information about your assets, occupation and income, account balances, account activities, payment history and transactions with us or third parties, tax returns, income statements, statements of liabilities, bank account details and records and statements for investment purposes;
3. credit related personal information, including:
- identification information;
- consumer credit liability information which includes information about your credit providers and credit accounts, including the dates on which the accounts are opened and closed, their limits, and their terms and conditions (or any changes to their terms and conditions);
- whether you have or have not met any monthly repayment obligations;
- whether you have defaulted on a payment (ie. a payment that is at least 60 days overdue and over $150 in value);
- whether you have paid any amount previously reported as being in default;
- that another entity has sought creditrelated personal information about you from a credit reporting body;
- information about the types of consumer or commercial credit, and the amounts of credit, you have sought from a credit provider;
- information about court proceedings related to credit provided to you or for which you have applied;
- personal insolvency information and other publicly available information relating to your credit worthiness; and
- a credit provider’s reasonable belief that you have committed a serious credit infringement; and
4. investment property information, including lease information, rental history, property management agreement and information and insurance policy; and
5. information concerning the status of your employment.
In some circumstances Futurerent may also hold other personal information provided by you.
How does Futurerent collect personal information?
Generally, Futurerent collects your personal information directly from you, through the completion of a manual or online form, an interaction or exchange in person or by way of telephone, facsimile, email, post or through the use of the Futurerent website. There may be occasions when Futurerent collects your personal information from other sources such as:
- your accountant;
- your property manager;
- your employer, where necessary for Futurerent to provide its products and services to your employer through you;
- the completion of an application form by another person who you have authorised to complete the application on your behalf;
- Equifax or other credit reporting body;
- credit providers;
- an information services provider; or
- a publicly maintained record or other publicly available sources of information including social media and similar websites.
Generally, Futurerent will only collect your personal information from sources other than you if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect your personal information from you or with your authorisation.
Why does Futurerent need your personal information?
Futurerent collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information where it is reasonably necessary for the purposes of:
- conducting due diligence on you as a prospective client of Futurerent to ensure Futurerent is comfortable entering into contractual arrangements with you;
- providing to you its products and services from its pre-paid residential rent platform;
- accounting, billing and other internal administrative purposes;
- identifying and informing you of other products and services that may be of interest to you from Futurerent or selected third parties; and
- any other legal requirements.
Futurerent may also use your personal information for purposes related to the above purposes and for which you would reasonably expect Futurerent to do so in the circumstances, or where you have consented or the use is otherwise in accordance with law.
Where personal information is used or disclosed, Futurerent takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure it is relevant to the purpose for which it is to be used or disclosed. You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to Futurerent. However, without certain information from you, Futurerent may not be able to provide its products and/or services to you.
To whom does Futurerent disclose your personal information?
Futurerent discloses your personal information for the purpose for which Futurerent collects it. That is, generally, Futurerent will only disclose your personal information for a purpose set out at paragraph 4. This may include disclosing your personal information to:
- third parties engaged to perform administrative or other business management functions;
- people or entities considering acquiring an interest in Futurerent’s enterprise or assets;
- Futurerent’s professional advisors, contractors, consultants and related bodies corporate;
- financiers, investors and insurance providers;
- regulatory bodies; and
- any person you have authorised us to disclose information to.
Futurerent may also disclose your personal information, including your credit related personal information, to lenders, credit providers and the credit reporting body, Equifax (contactable on the details set out below).
Futurerent’s disclosures of your personal information to third parties are on a confidential basis or otherwise in accordance with law. Futurerent may also disclose your personal information with your consent or if disclosure is required or authorised by law.
Equifax can be contacted via its website at: https://www.equifax.com.au/contact
Equifax’s policy on its management of credit related personal information can be accessed through its website at: https://www.equifax.com.au/creditreporting-policy.
Futurerent may disclose personal information, including credit related personal information, to overseas recipients (for example, investors and financiers) in order to provide its services to you. Recipients of such disclosures may be located in various locations from time to time.
Overseas recipients may have different privacy and data protection standards. However, before disclosing any personal information to an overseas recipient, Futurerent takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the overseas recipient complies with the Australian Privacy Principles or is bound by a substantially similar privacy scheme unless you consent to the overseas disclosure or it is otherwise required or permitted by law.
If you have any queries or objections to such disclosures or would like to be advised of the locations of such overseas disclosures, please contact Futurerent’s Privacy Compliance Officer on the details set out in paragraph 12.
Futurerent may use and disclose your personal information in order to inform you of products and services that may be of interest to you. In the event you do not wish to receive such communications, you can opt-out by contacting Futurerent via the contact details set out in paragraph 12 or through any opt-out mechanism contained in a marketing communication to you.
Security of your personal information
Futurerent takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Futurerent holds personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by authorised staff and Futurerent shreds unwanted hard copy documents.
Futurerent will destroy or de-identify personal information in circumstances where it is no longer required, unless Futurerent is otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information.
Can you access and correct the personal information that Futurerent holds about you?
Futurerent takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure personal information it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading. You may access and seek correction of your personal information that is collected and held by Futurerent. If at any time you would like to access or correct the personal information that Futurerent holds about you, or you would like more information on Futurerent’s approach to privacy, please visit www.futurerent.com.au, sign in and click on ‘edit’ my details or contact Futurerent’s Privacy Compliance Officer on the details set out in paragraph 12 below. Futurerent will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Privacy Act or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate.
To obtain access to your personal information:
- you will have to provide proof of identity to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected;
- Futurerent requests that you be reasonably specific about the information you require; and
- Futurerent may charge you a reasonable administration fee, which reflects the cost to Futurerent, for providing access in accordance with your request.
Futurerent will endeavour to respond to your request to access or correct your personal information within 30 days from your request. If Futurerent refuses your request to access or correct your personal information, Futurerent will provide you with written reasons for the refusal. Futurerent will also take steps reasonable in the circumstance to provide you with access in a manner that meets your needs and the needs of Futurerent.
If you are dissatisfied with Futurerent’s refusal to grant access to, or correct, your personal information including credit related personal information, you may make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Cookies and online monitoring
When accessing Futurerent’s website, Futurerent uses ‘cookies’ to store a log file which is retained for technical and statistical purposes only. The information collected is not personal information and, to the extent any personal information is collected, it is de-identified prior to being analysed for the technical and statistical purposes. Cookies are a feature of your Internet browser that you can disable at any time.
Futurerent may also use external service providers to track the traffic and usage on Futurerent’s user platform for Australian users only. We will use this information to help better inform our marketing and messaging through online advertising.
Electronic authorisation / communication
Futurerent proposes to send you notices and other documents in connection with your dealings with us (Electronic Communication) by email, text or by the member log-in area via our web siteWe will make all documents related to our services available for a reasonable period of time in the customers log-in area on our website for retrieval by you, or we will send you such documents by e-mail or other form of electronic communication.
If the information is displayed in the customers log-in area, we will promptly send you an e-mail or other form of electronic communication to the e-mail address nominated notifying you that information is available for retrieval from our website and notify you of the nature of that information. As the user of our services, you must regularly check your nominated e-mail inbox for notices.
How to contact us
For further information or enquiries regarding your personal information, or if you would like to opt-out of receiving any promotional or marketing communications, please contact Futurerent’s Privacy Compliance Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please direct all privacy complaints to Futurerent’s Privacy Compliance Officer. At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with promptly
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and Futurerent.